Repair Your Smile With Tooth Fillings in Sand Springs, OK
Cavities are fairly common, so tooth fillings are too. Since our Sand Springs, OK dentist places so many fillings, we want them to look as natural as possible. That’s why we use tooth-colored composite instead of metal (amalgam) for our fillings.Doctor Brian Patten on tooth fillings Read Transcript
When people are diagnosed with interproximal decay, or fillings that are in between the teeth or cavities in between the teeth, our basic standard of care is to restore those, which is with white fillings. We try to make it as easy as possible and the patient to be as painless as possible.
While not standing out in your smile is a big benefit, it isn’t the only one. Non-metal fillings also:
- Require Less Work – You’ll retain more of your tooth structure with composite fillings. They also strengthen your tooth and help prevent breakage. Since metal fillings expand and contract over time, your teeth can develop small cracks that allow bacteria to get in and cause more damage.
- Can Be Repaired – Damaged metal fillings will likely need to be replaced. In contrast, we can easily mend a composite filling.
- Pose No Long-Term Health Risks – Research isn’t conclusive concerning possible health issues associated with mercury in metal fillings. Still, we think it’s a good idea to avoid mercury in dental restorations whenever possible.
If you have a toothache and think you might have a cavity, call LakeCrest Dental at 918-205-4386.
You May Need Another Dental Restoration for Your Cavity
Dental fillings aren’t the only restoration we use for cavities. We may suggest another dental restoration instead of a composite filling for you, depending on the size of your cavity, where it’s located in your mouth, and other factors. Other options include:
- Dental Crown – Since they completely cover your teeth, crowns are a better choice for very large cavities or if your teeth are structurally compromised.
- Inlay – If a cavity is too large for a filling but not large enough for a crown, we may use an inlay to make the repair.
- Onlay – Similar to an inlay, an onlay covers the top of your tooth and may cover part of the sides. It’s a bit larger than an inlay.
Your dentist will determine whether tooth fillings are the right fix for your smile. Call LakeCrest Dental at 918-205-4386. Our Sand Springs, OK dentist office is located at 3905 Highway 97, in the 74063 zip code.